History of the Convent
A CONVENT FULL OF LIFE
The foundation of the convent of San Francisco de Santiago dates back to the pilgrimage of Saint Francis of Assisi in 1214 to the tomb of the Apostle Santiago.
At the request of San Francisco, Cotolay (a poor charcoal burner) founded the convent, thus fulfilling the Saint's wish. At the main entrance is the Cotolay mausoleum and in front of it, a large stone tombstone explains the origin of this foundation.
The convent was built outside the city wall in the so-called "Hell's Valley", later changing to the name "Valley of God" with the arrival of the friars.
Although the current building is from the 18th century, the original Gothic arches from the late 19th century are still preserved. XIII. The archaeological windows at the entrance to the convent display the remains of the original church from the 16th century. XIII.
The convent of San Francisco de Santiago is the seat of the Franciscan Province of Santiago, which includes Galicia, Asturias, León, Zamora, Salamanca, Palencia and Valladolid, the "custodian" of Venezuela and the "delegation" of Tangier.
The Franciscan friars continue to live in the convent, their home, carrying out different activities, both inside and outside of its walls, including evangelical, pastoral, social, educational and cultural activities, among them.